Job Opening – Assistant Manager
Job Opening- Assistant Manager, Humane Society of Southern Illinois
The Humane Society of Southern Illinois (HSSI) is seeking applications for the position of Manager. HSSI is a 501(c)(3), not for profit, animal welfare organization. HSSI is an open access shelter. As such, HSSI accepts animals from local animal controls and the general public. No animal is ever turned away.
HSSI is seeking a collaborative, professional, and knowledgeable individual with a passion for animals and a desire to better the lives of homeless pets in Southern Illinois. The person hired for this position will be responsible for the day to day operations of HSSI and will report to the Board of Directors. Responsibilities include safety, housing, feeding, enrichment, and medical care for the animals housed at HSSI and managing staff and volunteers. The manager will also be responsible for maintaining records, following HSSI policy, and compliance with all state/federal laws. For a full list of job duties, please see the attached job description.
- 3+ years of experience in animal care (commercial, rescue, veterinary, not personal), or a bachelor’s degree in animal field and 2+ years of experience in animal care (commercial, rescue, veterinary, not personal), or Associates degree in Veterinary Technology and 1+ year of experience (commercial, rescue, veterinary, not personal).
- Ability and willingness to gain euthanasia certification through the State of Illinois.
- Basic knowledge of veterinary medicines, including, but not limited to, de-worming, antibiotics, pest control, etc.
- Experience in cleaning protocols for shelter environment.
- Availability for possible night and weekend work.
- Valid State of Illinois Driver’s License.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and criticism from Board of Directors.
- Strong computer skills, including, but not limited to, differing software and social media.
- Ability to perform all aspects of the Manager Job Description
- Passion for animals.
- 2+ years of managerial experience.
- Experience working in a shelter/rescue environment.
- Euthanasia certification through the State of Illinois.
- Interest in working with volunteers.
- Experience with facility upkeep.
- Desire to work for a non-profit.
- Knowledge of state and federal animal welfare compliance regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Experience in animal behavior.
- Experience working with rescue groups, including transportation groups.
- Experience ordering/purchasing goods used for the day to day use of the shelter.
- Experience speaking with the media.
Below is a link to to download the job description. Please be aware that the assistant manager should also be comfortable with the duties performed in other positions here at the shelter. Please review the assistant manager job description as well as additional job descriptions provided to familiarize yourself with those duties.
Please follow link to Indeed.com to apply. Application deadline is 4 pm on May 26, 2017. No walk-in applications accepted.